Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Transformers
Sicko
Ratatouille
Disturbia
Paris - Sonic Jihad
David Bazan - Fewer Moving Parts
Todd Steed and the Suns of Phere - Heartbreak and Duct Tape
Starflyer 59 - Leave Here a Stranger
Mustard - Eureka Grande
My Photo
Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

The peaches, apples, plums and pears are guarded by ferocious bears.

Powered by Blogger


Resumes
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
My Secret - Frank Warren
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

07 November 2005

Get Your Derek Webb On

So I'm going to a Derek Webb show Friday in Marion, Indiana. It's a completely out of the blue thing, given that I just found out about it, oh, 15 minutes ago. I couldn't be more excited.

Webb is one of my favourite songwriters. He used to be in a folk band called Caedmon's Call. He was one of a couple of songwriters in that band. He was by far the better half of the duo. Now he's doing some amazing solo stuff.

This tour is cool for a couple of reasons. First of all, it's in support of his new record, Mockingbird, which drops 26 December. It's going to piss off a lot of people. I can't wait. Webb's stuff is usually sold in Christian bookstores. We'll see how long that lasts.

The second reason this is cool is that John Davis (formerly of Superdrag) is on the tour as well. Davis converted to Christianity a while back and now he's making Jesusy music. (Don't worry, Superdrag fans loved his new disc, so it's still all good.)

Oh? You're probably wondering why Mockingbird is going to make people in the Christian establishment angry, aren't you? See if you can guess:

There are two great lies that I've heard:
'The day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die'
And that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class Republican
And if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him”
-from "A King & A Kingdom"

+ + +

"Peace by way of war is like purity by way of fornication
It's like telling someone murder is wrong and then showing them by way of execution"
-from "My Enemies Are Men Like Me"

+ + +

"Are we defending life when we just pick and choose
Lives acceptable to lose and which ones to defend"
-from "Love Is Not Against The Law"

+ + +

"Don't teach me about moderation and liberty, I prefer a shot of grape juice"
-from "A New Law"

+ + +

"My first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man,
My first allegiance is not to democracy or blood
It's to a king & a kingdom"
-from "A King & A Kingdom"

+ + +

"Come on and follow Me, but sell your house, sell your SUV,
Sell your stocks, sell your security
And give it to the poor"
-From "Rich Young Ruler"
Oh snap!

Comments on "Get Your Derek Webb On"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/08/2005 10:06:00 AM) : 

If those are typical for his lyrics, I'll definitely be sampling the music. -- Frankie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/08/2005 11:48:00 AM) : 

how far away is that?? you guys going with friends or what???

 

Blogger Ninjanun said ... (11/08/2005 02:42:00 PM) : 

Awesome. I can't wait to hear it. Stuff like this NEEDS to be heard. But you know, we've been killing prophets for years, and when we can't do that, we just censor them or shout them down.

 

Blogger Wasp Jerky said ... (11/08/2005 10:40:00 PM) : 

He's been getting more confrontational, Frankie. His stuff has always been very good, but his solo stuff has had the added bonus of being quite prophetic and challenging. I'll post some lyrics Monday.

Just us, Gwen. Yahoo Maps says it's about 200 miles or 4 1/2 hours driving time.

I can't wait to hear it either, Ninjanun. I'll see if I can snag some more lyrics on Friday.

 

Blogger Dan Trabue said ... (11/09/2005 09:48:00 AM) : 

I like it. Looking forward to more.

Would I like the music that accompanies these fine lyrics? (I'm more of an acoustic folkie...EmmyLou, Tracy Chapman, Bruce Cockburn, and, of course, Captain Randy Stonehill and Uncle Larry Norman!)

 

Blogger Nicole said ... (11/10/2005 12:25:00 AM) : 

He's been a "snap" man for quite awhile now. It's more annoying in person. ;)

 

Blogger Wasp Jerky said ... (11/10/2005 12:26:00 PM) : 

Dan,

I think you'd like Derek Webb's stuff. The best place to start might be an album called The House Show, which is a live album. It's all acoustic and has a lot of stories and talking in between songs. It's a good mix of older and newer material, with a couple of covers thrown in (including a Dylan song). Or I can make you a mix if you so desire.

jvp and nicole,

As Jon Steward would say, settle!

 

Blogger Nicole said ... (11/11/2005 12:18:00 AM) : 

Donchu be tellin' me to settle! Mm hmm, I'll settle for you not gettin' nun!

 

Blogger Reverend Irreverent said ... (11/11/2005 09:03:00 PM) : 

Derek Webb!

I feel like he's been trailing me in my own conversion from fundamentalism. I used to *heart* Caedmon's Call. Last winter, I heard his last CD full of all this sacramental imagery which I loved and now this. Now this!

I'm soooooooooo happy!

 

post a comment