Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Transformers
Sicko
Ratatouille
Disturbia
Paris - Sonic Jihad
David Bazan - Fewer Moving Parts
Todd Steed and the Suns of Phere - Heartbreak and Duct Tape
Starflyer 59 - Leave Here a Stranger
Mustard - Eureka Grande
My Photo
Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

The peaches, apples, plums and pears are guarded by ferocious bears.

Powered by Blogger


Resumes
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
My Secret - Frank Warren
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

18 September 2005

Out Like A Fat Kid In Dodge Ball (Again)

So I'm in Tennessee for a couple of weeks. I might be updating. I might not. I'm not sure. Depends on if I can successfully get around the evils of dial up. Responses to comments may also take a while. Welcome to the two or three new people who have been hanging out here lately. You know who you are. Argue amongst yourselves until I return. Or whatever it is you crazy kids do.

Comments on "Out Like A Fat Kid In Dodge Ball (Again)"

 

Blogger Ninjanun said ... (9/20/2005 01:23:00 PM) : 

I don't know why you put a "lol" at the end of that, but perhaps you should check out www.goingape.blogspot.com before you laugh out loud.

So six common people out of the hundreds of thousands of victims of Katrina didn't blame Bush in any way shape or form? so?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/20/2005 02:06:00 PM) : 

How does one become a freelance writer? Strikes me as a glorious life.

 

Blogger Nicole said ... (9/20/2005 11:58:00 PM) : 

It's an interesting, yet poor, life, Trevor. ;) But it's really sexy to see your husband's name in print, so it might make life a little more romantic in that sense.

 

Blogger Ninjanun said ... (9/21/2005 01:50:00 PM) : 

Finding out who is responsible and working to bring them to justice so a disaster like this doesn't happen again does not take the focus off the victims; it's about making sure there aren't more victims further down the line. You can work to help the victims AND make sure the people responsible for the unnecessary devestation are culpable. It's not an either/or. But keep trotting out the "blame game" excuse if you want. It's a favorite retort of Bush supporters when their guy might actually be responsible for something bad happening.

 

Blogger Wasp Jerky said ... (9/23/2005 05:41:00 PM) : 

Trevor,

I actually have a "day job," but I freelance a bit on the side. In my case, becoming a freelancer involved a lot of bizarre coincidences that resulted in me getting noticed by the right people (although having studied Creative Writing and Journalism in college probably helped). From there it's all about establishing relationships with the people for whom you want to work.

speaklesssaymore,

I agree that partisanship and politics in many ways gets us nowhere. Politics is largely an empty game that does nothing to change the world. There's a reason Jesus wasn't a politician, after all. And I really dislike the fact that there are only two major political parties in this country, although by not voting for other parties or working to establish other political parties, we bring this on ourselves. It doesn't do any good to complain about Republicrats and Democrans if I don't vote Green or Libertarian or for whatever other third parties are floating around out there. Voting doesn't necessarily do any good anyways. My wife and I live in Illinois. Regardless of who we vote for, in presidential elections at least, Illinois will probably go blue. We plan on moving to Tennessee in a few years. When that happens, the state will go red regardless of how we vote. Of course there are also things that can be done to change that. But will it ultimately matter? Our system is very flawed, and it has a lot to do with both the electoral and two-party systems.

However, this isn't about finger pointing or partisan carping. Christians have a responsibility to speak prophetically. That means, in part, calling our leaders out when they deserve to be called out. Bush is President, so I'm going to keep bitching about him and the way he's fucking up the world. If Clinton was still President, I'd probably be going after him. I'm not a Republican and I'm not a Democrat. I'm an independent who always will be. Aligning oneself with a political party smacks too much of idolotry to me.

And by the way, there are quite a few people on the Right/Republican/whatever-you-want-to-call-it-side complaining about the federal response to Katrina.

 

post a comment