Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Transformers
Sicko
Ratatouille
Disturbia
Paris - Sonic Jihad
David Bazan - Fewer Moving Parts
Todd Steed and the Suns of Phere - Heartbreak and Duct Tape
Starflyer 59 - Leave Here a Stranger
Mustard - Eureka Grande
My Photo
Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

The peaches, apples, plums and pears are guarded by ferocious bears.

Powered by Blogger


Resumes
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
My Secret - Frank Warren
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

24 August 2005

Lying Liars

I'm really late to the Pat "Who Would Jesus Assassinate?" Robertson party. But I thought I'd weigh in.

For those who have been under a rock this week, on Monday Robertson, on his 700 Club programme, called for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez:

You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war, and I don't think any oil shipments will stop. We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with.
So I have a few thoughts on that.

First, I'm really happy, especially in light of what I said a few days ago, that World Magazine and Christianity Today are calling a spade a spade here. It certainly took Christianity Today long enough. For a while there it seemed that the divorce of CCM singer Jaci Velasquez was more important than a prominent evangelical television show host calling for the assassination of a world leader. Which I guess it is if you're following the blueprint of the mainstream media. Nonetheless, they came thru in the end and I'm thankful. (Although World was still ignorant enough say that Robertson seemed more Muslim than Christian. If the writers and editors at World would open a history book, they would find that Robertson's comments are quite in keeping with the Christian tradition of slaughtering people, particularly dark-skinned people, for material gain.)

Anyways, today on the programme Robertson said that the AP misrepresented his comments:

I didn't say "assassination." I said our special forces should "take him out." "Take him out" could be a number of things including kidnapping. There are a number of ways of taking out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted by the AP, but that happens all the time.
Of course, if you'll remember just a few paragraphs up, Robertson in fact did say assassination. Now, I'm sure Robertson is just as persecuted as the next faithful multi-millionaire who lives in a country where all three branches of the government are controlled by people who claim to be Christians. But if your memory is that faulty, maybe you should be taking some SGS742.

And then over here Robertson is apologising. So which is it? Dementia or just plain lies? It must be dementia, because I'm pretty sure Robertson was one of the morally upstanding Christians who took Bill Clinton to task for redefining the word "is."

Comments on "Lying Liars"

 

Blogger Ninjanun said ... (8/24/2005 10:55:00 PM) : 

Jaci Valesquez was married?! Where have I been?
Her Nathan Valesquez sold me my keyboard. So I'm less than six degrees away (sort of) from Jaci. I should've known this!

And yeah, Pat Robertson...my husband and I have started calling him Prat Robertson. I'm glad to see that the "Christian media" have taken some notice of this asinine comment of his.

 

Blogger Ninjanun said ... (8/24/2005 10:57:00 PM) : 

I meant to say her cousin, Nathan Valesquez.

I obviously left bits of my brain elsewhere today. Sorry 'bout that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/24/2005 11:11:00 PM) : 

Man, you know over here in Naperville "Perfectville" i only get about five channels. One is fox, one is PBS, one is WG and the others are in spanish. So I rarely watch TV since the three english channels come with tons of snow. I've been frustrated trying to figure out how to get my news, and then I find WaspJerky who is faithful to letting me in on the scoop. Hmmm . . . well at least "prat" didn't quote scripture-this time. Enjoying your insight. . .

 

Blogger Wasp Jerky said ... (8/25/2005 11:46:00 AM) : 

Yep, you're behind on your Christian subculture gossip, ninjanun. I bet you didn't know that Ryan Dobson (son of James "God hates gay cartoon characters" Dobson) has been divorced either.

I'm so glad you've been dropping by, Steph. Our cable situation is about the same, although we do get a few more channels. The best place to get your news is from the BBC. They're much better than anything you'll find in the states. Also start watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Obviously you don't have cable, but the web site has a lot of streaming video clips. Click on latest headlines when you get to the site. You have DSL now, so you should be just fine. And then there's always here. Hehe.

 

post a comment