Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Transformers
Sicko
Ratatouille
Disturbia
Paris - Sonic Jihad
David Bazan - Fewer Moving Parts
Todd Steed and the Suns of Phere - Heartbreak and Duct Tape
Starflyer 59 - Leave Here a Stranger
Mustard - Eureka Grande
My Photo
Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

The peaches, apples, plums and pears are guarded by ferocious bears.

Powered by Blogger


Resumes
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
My Secret - Frank Warren
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

26 August 2005

Lying Liars Part 4

From AmericaBlog:

Almost none of the coverage (of Pat Robertson's remarks about assassinating Hugo Chavez) made clear that Chavez is the democratically elected leader of his country. Bush encouraged a military coup -- which overthrew Chavez's government -- and then gave the thumbs up to the junta that wanted to replace him. Only a stirring demonstration of people power forced the military to back down (much to Bush's chagrin) and Chavez was put back in place. He's since won reelection under a vote that was less contested than Bush's two paths to glory in 2000 and 2004. How can anyone call Chavez a critic of Bush and then fail to point out that Bush encouraged his overthrow? Especially since this proves Bush is lying when he claims to be spreading democracy. You can't support democracy just when it suits you -- as Bush has done his entire presidency.

And yet even middle of the road USA Today referred to Chavez as a "populist strongman." He is NOT a strongman (whatever you think of his pronouncements or policies). Chavez is the democratically elected leader of Venezuela and sits on one of the world's largest supplies of oil -- and Bush wanted him overthrown. He has every reason to distrust and dislike Bush, as does any Venezuelan who believes in democracy and the sovereign rights of nations to be left alone.
I really have nothing to add to that. OK, I think I'm done with the Pat Robertson thing now.

Comments on "Lying Liars Part 4"

 

Blogger Dan Trabue said ... (8/26/2005 05:48:00 PM) : 

Great post. I saw some polls from Venezuela that showed Chavez with a 60-70% approval rating. Maybe Bush and Robertson are just jealous...

To answer a previously asked question:
I was asked about my childhood church earlier, I thought I'd answer here, so you could find it more easily.

Much as I might hate to, I'd have to come to the defense of not just my church, but many churches with which I was familiar.

The evangelical and Catholic churches at least around Louisville, KY invest some money and some time in homeless shelters, food for the poor programs, clothing assistance, etc. Additionally, they often have "benevolence funds" to aid some of the poor who come to church.

They read the bible enough, I think, to see that caring for the poor is important.

That's my defense portion of the program. Now the flip side of the coin:

They are often horribly patriarchal and condescending in their assistance. It is often if not usually a "big daddy church" helping the poor wretches who need Christ and so much more.

I don't think they mean to be, but they are. But that's not limited to churches, I'd say. I think it's hard for most of us who have to know how best to relate to those who have not.

The church I attend now makes a deliberate effort to be community in solidarity WITH the poor instead of CHURCH in assistance TO the poor. And we don't get it right. But we try and that's something...

Thanks for asking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/26/2005 11:39:00 PM) : 

your welcome. I'm interested is all. And I am intrigued by your last reference, that your church is attempting community WITH the poor not TO them. Much different perspective for sure. Thanks for sharing, I have been (as a protestant) quite impressed with the Catholic church as of late. They are very much a Mother to the communities they serve.

 

post a comment