Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Transformers
Sicko
Ratatouille
Disturbia
Paris - Sonic Jihad
David Bazan - Fewer Moving Parts
Todd Steed and the Suns of Phere - Heartbreak and Duct Tape
Starflyer 59 - Leave Here a Stranger
Mustard - Eureka Grande
My Photo
Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

The peaches, apples, plums and pears are guarded by ferocious bears.

Powered by Blogger


Resumes
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
My Secret - Frank Warren
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

06 August 2005

God Smiles On Me

You're probably familiar with the Internet Archive. A group based in San Francisco, the Internet Archive exists to maintain an archive of the Internet. Makes sense, huh? Its collections include archived copies of web pages, movies, audio recordings, books, software, and so on.

I knew about the archived web pages, which are snapshots of web pages taken at various points in time. What I didn't know is that the database also includes live concerts and films. For instance, you can download George Romero's 1968 horror classic, Night of the Living Dead. (It's perfectly free and legal. The film exists in the public domain, as Romero failed to properly secure his film's copyright.)

Even better, there is a tremendous archive of live concerts. Enough to fill your hard drive. We're talking hundreds and hundreds of shows by amazing bands: Spoon, Scott Miller and the Commonwealth, Zwan, Ryan Adams, Jack Johnson, Vigilantes of Love, String Cheese Incident, Eddie From Ohio, Hank Williams III, Toad the Wet Sprocket, John Vanderslice, Soul Coughing, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Jump Little Children, Magnolia Electric Co., Man or Astroman?, My Morning Jacket, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, and Acoustic Syndicate. And that doesn't even scratch the surface.

Whew. Zalm's wife my never forgive me.

Comments on "God Smiles On Me"

 

Blogger Streak said ... (8/07/2005 01:34:00 PM) : 

Very cool. Some really great music here. Thanks for the alert.

 

Blogger Ninjanun said ... (8/08/2005 12:03:00 PM) : 

Yay! Toad the Wet Sprocket! I think they are definitely one of my all-time favorite bands.

Thanks for sharing this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/08/2005 02:28:00 PM) : 

Heh. Don't worry, my marriage is quite safe.

My wife was a taper/trader of live music before I even met her. We've got a couple hundred gigs of live music (some, but certainly not all from archive.org).

Actually, the nicest thing about archive.org is that you can stream a lot of the concerts, so you don't even have to download the files. That's easier on the hard drive space.

 

Blogger Wasp Jerky said ... (8/09/2005 09:00:00 AM) : 

No problem. I can't believe I didn't know about this already. Some hipster I turned out to be.

 

post a comment