Five Reasons I Love the Public Library
|I love the public library. That probably makes me a Socialist. Chicagoland has a particularly great system. There are several large, well-stocked libraries within a few miles of our apartment. A couple are within walking or biking distance. And as a Chicagolander, I can check anything out from any library in the area. Usually this is a problem for me because I can't go in one without checking out half a dozen things, which means I don't read the books I already own, many of which I haven't read yet. At any rate, this is what's in the pile right now:|
1) Public Enemy #2 : An All-New Boondocks Collection - Aaron McGruder
2) Jame's Dobson's War on America - Gil Alexander-Moeggerle
3) Six Feet Under - The Complete Third Season
4) Ice Haven - Daniel Clowes
5) Savage Pastimes: A Cultural History of Violent Entertainment - Harold Schechter
As an aside, I should point out that our village's library employs a security guard, the only security guard I've ever seen in a library. I'm not sure why. Mostly she just sits around or talks to the librarians, older women who scowl all day long.