Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Transformers
Sicko
Ratatouille
Disturbia
Paris - Sonic Jihad
David Bazan - Fewer Moving Parts
Todd Steed and the Suns of Phere - Heartbreak and Duct Tape
Starflyer 59 - Leave Here a Stranger
Mustard - Eureka Grande
My Photo
Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

The peaches, apples, plums and pears are guarded by ferocious bears.

Powered by Blogger


Resumes
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
My Secret - Frank Warren
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

24 October 2006

Walking The Walk

Daily Kos reports some interesting findings. The nonpartisan Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America took a look at more than 300 legislative votes in the last five years which affected American troops and veterans. The proposals included veterans' benefits, healthcare, medical research dedicated towards injured soldiers, and so on. Based on these votes, IAVA calculated which congressmen and senators had a history of supporting the troops, and which didn't. The results were then graded on a curve.

You can see the full results of the report here. But it's the Senate results that are the most shocking. Every Senate Republican, without fail, scores a "C" or lower. And every Senate Democrat, without fail, scores a "B-" or higher.

It appears that Senate Republicans support the troops the way abusive husbands love their wives.

Comments on "Walking The Walk"

 

Blogger jasdye said ... (10/24/2006 05:57:00 PM) : 

w/o actually assessing the data, i'm 1) not surprised (neglectful parents that Republicans are); 2) ashamed at the response of necessity that our government's shown. or, rather, hidden.

 

Blogger Marty said ... (10/26/2006 03:54:00 PM) : 

Hey Wasp,

Yes I know about this. Very revealing. I thought I had posted this information on my blog, but I went back and checked. I didn't. I included it in the Newsletter I edit for our state Chapter of Military Families Speak Out.

My congressman got an A. He also voted against the torture bill. I let him know how appreciative I am.

Thanks for posting this. IAVA is working tirelessly on issues that affect our troops and veterans. They deserve all the support we can give them.

I'm reading a Paul Krugmann book right now and am planning to post a quote from it on my blog tonight. It's about the Bush Administration saying one thing, yet doing another.

 

Blogger Marty said ... (10/26/2006 04:00:00 PM) : 

Oh, and make sure to Tell Congress to Support Wounded Troops

 

post a comment