Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Transformers
Sicko
Ratatouille
Disturbia
Paris - Sonic Jihad
David Bazan - Fewer Moving Parts
Todd Steed and the Suns of Phere - Heartbreak and Duct Tape
Starflyer 59 - Leave Here a Stranger
Mustard - Eureka Grande
My Photo
Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

The peaches, apples, plums and pears are guarded by ferocious bears.

Powered by Blogger


Resumes
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
My Secret - Frank Warren
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

07 September 2006

God's Own Party

A recent post at Jesus Politics caught my eye. The post quotes a middle aged woman from Georgia named Clydeen Tomanio. Here is what she said:

There are some people, and I'm one of them, that believe George Bush was placed where he is by the Lord. I don't care how he governs, I will support him. I'm a Republican through and through.
There are really two separate positions here. The first is that God places world leaders where they are, and that we ought to support them, no matter what they do. The second is that when God fills out her voter registration card, she checks the box marked Republican.

There are probably quite a few Christians in the United States who believe the first position. This is curious. You will understand the reason why this is curious when you take the words "George Bush" out of the quote above and replace them with "Saddam Hussein" or "Adolf Hitler."

As for the second position, if you believe that God is a Republican, I can only offer you this:

Comments on "God's Own Party"

 

Blogger RC said ... (9/07/2006 09:55:00 PM) : 

that's a very interesting quote.

obviously we are supposed to follow the laws of the land...and follow our leaders, even if we disagree them, unless (a la Daniel) we are sinning against God by following the rules.

excellent points.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/12/2006 01:37:00 AM) : 

Nice post. I believe in following the laws. I also believe it is healthy to question our leaders, but we must do so with an informed opinion. If we aren't informed or care to be informed on what's going on, we deserve whatever goofball leader and his/her goofball decisions.

I like the picture you put up. Fits with the fact that politics(both Democrats and Repubs.) is all about slander and scare tactics. We need our politicians to sink their teeth into the actual issue and have a real dialogue. I want substance, not flashy attack ads and mean spirited soundbites. Because we live in a great nation, I have high expectations, and I know we will keep making it better!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/17/2006 05:20:00 PM) : 

You know, I've seen similar quotes time and time again, but they never cease to amaze me. I am seriously starting to doubt democracy as a system of government when such idiots as this woman are allowed to vote.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/25/2006 02:52:00 PM) : 

It would be just as easy to write a silly campaign ad with a random democrat dissing Christ. The fact is, neither party is a Christian party, not really.

 

Blogger Wes Messamore said ... (9/25/2006 03:01:00 PM) : 

Hey, I agree with the general sentiments of your post, but that picture doesn't prove your point that God isn't a Republican (though I'd agree that He most certainly isn't). The reason why the picture is funny is because it's showing how politicians twist each other's words. In the picture, Bush is twisting Christ's words and taking them out of context. Christ is most certainly no Democrat either. I would have to agree with anonymous' comments.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/25/2006 06:05:00 PM) : 

As a Christian, I will support the Republican party every time I head for the polls. And I don't really feel like I need to research the candidates.

The reason is, like it or not, Republicans best represent the moral values of Christians. There is no such thing as a pro-life democrat! The abortion issue, I think, is the most important issue to be considered. I may not agree with all the policies of a particular party, but one that endorses the killing of innocent children purely out of self-interest is not a party I can endorse, no matter what other issues.

Who will support heterosexual marraige? Who will protect unborn children from abortion and being sold for stem cell research? Most Republicans will support the Christian values which are most important. Democrats will not. And don't talk to me about social justice issues either, because Democrats play that card to get votes. Government assistance is handing out so much money to generational welfare recipients, it is rediculous.

 

Blogger Wes Messamore said ... (10/01/2006 01:51:00 PM) : 

If the second anonymous post was made by the same person who made the first one, I say that you contradict yourself. If not, I encourage the second anonymous poster to heed the words of the first one: "The fact is, neither party is a Christian party, not really." And frankly in the context of politics, I'm not interested in supporting the "Christian" party, whatever that means (though I am a devout Christian). I'm more interested in supporting the party that supports real and genuine freedom. Sadly there is no such party in existence today. Perhaps the Libertarian Party comes close, but even it doesn't quite get there.

 

Blogger Wasp Jerky said ... (10/01/2006 02:19:00 PM) : 

W. E. Messamore,

They're two different anonymouses (anonymice?). I agree with the first. I couldn't disagree more with the second.

 

post a comment